Ghana and Nigeria: One family


Two countries apart, 2 different time zones, one official language and similar systems, Nigeria is more than the brother from another mother. More like brother from the same parent but separated at birth. I've never been to Nigeria but interactions on social media shows how similar the experiences in these two countries would be.

It's possible that the average Ghanaian may have had the same experiences as the average Nigerian. Being an English speaking country after two francophone countries, it was clear we were going to be close. It seems as though there's a feud between the two countries but trust me its all love.

Trust a Nigerian to not agree that Ghanaian jollof is better. And for those who don't like jollof at all, "Really?? ". The same food but different procedures and different taste. This is a war that could go on for ages. Maybe one day, just maybe, Nigerians would admit that ours is better. I haven't tried Nigerian jollof though and so i'm not too certain. My assertion is biased.

Nigerians also complain about how Ghanaians are seemingly confused about meals. A typical Ghanaian meal, waakye; its a mixture of beans and rice with leaf coloring. It's never served on its own in Ghana. You'd have some salad, spaghetti, maybe gari(made from cassava), fish, egg, plantain and sometimes pear. It looks a lot but what's life without variety. Its not that we're confused, we just love food

One that always cracks me up is the battle of accents. Sometimes I wonder how they think we sound wrong but then same goes for them. We mock their overemphasis of "o". Ask a Nigerian to say come and you'll hear corme, or blood and you'll hear blord. I recently saw a meme with "I returned home to see my son murdered in cold blood" changed to I retend ham too see my san murdered in cold blad" to represent how a Ghanaian would have said that. Gets me everytime.

According to Nigerians, our skin is too dark, well black. I must say that on behalf Ghanaians, we love our skin. Let me chip in a cliche to counter this; black is beautiful. We think our skin colour is beautiful and therefore we're not ashamed to rock it. Everyone has noticed how your people love light skin. We don't believe in that and we cherish our black skin so we're keeping it
One thing I can say we have in common is probably our parents. They're so similar and we complain about the same things about our parents. Parenting styles are very similar with few minor varieties here and there. Sometimes it seems as though they're telepathic and it amazes me.

I think I'm intrigued by how similar the two countries are. We treat each each other with respect and the hospitality between them is overwhelming. I don't think I'd feel so out of place in Nigeria except when NEPA "takes" their light. Looking forward to visiting Nigeria though.

Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. This was so fun to read, I wonder what our sisters in Nigeria are going to say about this

    ReplyDelete