A Visit from 1958

The air had suddenly become different. Even though the news had gone around already, everyone waited for the official announcement. It was dark and they'd been standing at the square for a while. People in other regions had their radios to their ears and those who could afford televisions, sat across the TV paying so much attention to the speakers. There were cheers, chattering, and what looked like people getting impatient. Excitement filled the air when one man in a smock and a cap mounted the podium. He was so graceful and the aura around him was just excellence. His charisma was his biggest asset and he never took no for an answer. His persistence had earned them their freedom and they were very grateful. He started talking and people were cheering.
"I want to speak English for now, after that I'll speak Fante.. " he started.  Any moment his speech would end and he'd make the announcement official.
"...the independence is meaningless unless it is linked up with the liberation of the African continent.. " he said it with so much conviction.  Close to 5 minutes he was still slapping the people with his refined English. Then he said, "At long last, the battle has ended... "
The people sensed it now, they screamed in jubilation. The moment they'd been waiting for was here.
"...and that Ghana, your beloved country is free forever! ".
That was followed with so many cheers, dancing, and merry-making and so whatever he may have after that the people didn't hear. Moments later, we were singing the new national anthem and the Great Britain flag was being pulled down. The new Ghana flag, made up of red, yellow, and green with an iconic black star, was mounted and the adrenaline was so high. People screamed, women dancing with cloth around their waist and people telling each other how excited they were. They were free from colonization. Gold Coast, now Ghana was going to change forever. They were going to manage their own affairs, be self-reliant, and spear on to greatness.
.....
"Where am I? And what year is this? ",  a man that looked like he'd be in his 40s approached me. I was confused and it must have shown on my face because he looked shy and embarrassed. He wore a blue long sleeves shirt and a pair of trousers that was probably big enough to sew another pair. He was very tall, maybe a 6'1. He had an afro like in the 50s and his shoes oh God...
"Well, you're in Ghana and this is 2018," I said after a few seconds.
He managed an okay but still wanted more answers I thought. I asked him what was wrong and apparently, he thought this was the year 1958 (laughable really) and then proceeded to tell me how things had changed. His accent was so strong and slightly funny. He told me he was from 1958. And that what he has seen now, so far so very good he said. I was intrigued and so I invited him for lunch since I was going to eat anyway. His surprised look when we got to the restaurant was hilarious I chuckled and then he said
"Oh good Lord. Is this Ghana? This was what I used to see in the magazines oo. Ei na here ei you have money erh". I had to laugh at this one. I brushed it off and we entered. He kept talking about the increased number of cars on the road. Even though the potholes were unimpressive, he was excited about the cars. The fact that I didn't look as impressed as he was made his excitement die down a bit. We went to the counter and ordered the food and then took our seats. He looked at the new currency and said "wow this money is nice oo"
"So where is Osagyefo Dr. Nkrumah? " he asked.
"Oh, he was overthrown in 1969 and replaced by the late Dr. Busia and Mr. Edward Akuffo Ado. Mr. Akuffo Addo's son is now the president of Ghana" I said.
"Ei so Akuffo Ado was jealous of Nkrumah all this while? Don't trust people o ei. "
After bursting out in laughter I said "it wasn't like that, Nkrumah...well...people didn't like how he ruled, he was like a dictator and wanted only his party to rule. He was a capitalist"
"Oh okay okay, but that is a bit ungrateful oo. All he did for us".
"Sure"
Right after that, the food came. I had ordered fufu for him and opted for rice.
I told him about the four different republics, the coup d'etats and the different presidents since 1969, the different constitutions, and then about the fourth republic and the 1992 constitution we use now. I didn't spare him details about how the CPP has struggled over the years, the new dominant political parties, and how governance had changed over the years. I talk a lot wow. I looked up at him and it looked like his head was going to explode. So much information to receive on your first day. While we were eating, I saw someone selling newspapers and so I bought one for him. Frontpage read "Ghana debt reaches138 billion dollars"
He exclaimed and said "but aren't we still independent? Didn't Nkrumah want us to be self-reliant? What is this?"
"Hmm. That's our story now. We take loans from other countries most of the time and even after recently discovering oil, we still get less money from profits made. Sometimes it looks like we are overly dependent on other countries.
And then another article read "Pressing matters; Schools under trees". As if it wasn't going to get any worse, he read another article "Ghana the leading country in corruption in Africa". He was dumbfounded. This wasn't the Ghana they had envisioned at all. In their mind, they thought Ghana was going to be like the "abrokyire" they had seen in a few movies. Seeing the restaurant and the roads made him think all was well and that we had "reached".
"We've been electing presidents every four years but maybe we trust our leaders too much. Maybe they do their best but Ghana hasn't reached its potential because it's about us too, not just them. Maybe our overreliance on government is what is killing the dream. To make our nation great and strong but then it seems as though the leaders aren't doing as much. Too many things are overlooked sometimes, like the potholes you saw. Maybe we need a makeover, change of heart-mind, willingly accept ideas and changes...tune our minds to current developments, throw away archaic ideas" I said, and halfway I was sentimental.
"Guess I have a lot to learn about Ghana now" he said
"Oh yeah. It's not all bad here. There are good things too. The people are great, the food has evolved...oh you'll love the food! There's free education from jhs to shs...ermm, I'll explain that concept another day, there are more schools and a lot more universities too. Many roads have also been constructed and most parts look great. You definitely have a lot to learn." I just realized that I never asked for his name so I introduced myself.
"My name is Kwame," he said with a grin.
"Oh okay, nice to meet you. Anyway, so where are you going from here? "
"Uhh... "
To be continued

Happy independence to everyone! 

Post a Comment

4 Comments